Monday 11 April 2016




I'm a firm believer that you should never judge a book by its cover, however any judgement you pass upon setting eyes on the enigmatic front man of King Charles is probably pretty accurate in framing his music. 


Packed inside Sheffield's Plug King Charles' support act, Sasha Siem, warmed up the crowd with haunting folk-esque vocals. Funnily enough, red stripe in hand, I watched this lovely lady perform inches away from Charles himself (although he was somewhat less easy to recognize without his bouffant hair and I'm not sure why he was choosing not to wear shoes on Plug's sticky dancefloor...)

The band themselves kicked off their set with the effortlessly gorgeous, Carry Me Away. Odd choice for an opening song? Arguably. As the first chords were played I was surprised with such a slow tune to kick off the band's set. Hey ho though, the song itself was perfectly executed, it's always a bonus when you can't here the 20 Marlboro and the litre of rum in a musicians voice at a gig in the middle of their tour.

The band carried out a high-level performance, flitting between new poetic love songs and high-tempo LoveBlood classics. King Charles' accent seemed to compliment lyrics such as; 'with a guitar in my hands or a gun in my hand, I would give it all up for your hand in my hand' or 'the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows'.
I was particularly fond of Loose Change for The Boatman and the live performance of Bam Bam had so much energy. 

Well played, KC.

All in all, the gig was £12 well spent- plus, happily to meet fans after his set and shouting out to his previous support acts, King Charles actually seemed like a really sound guy. Aw. 


(apologies for the lack of original footage, my camera died at 30%, cheers Apple)

No comments:

Post a Comment